Saturday 20 October 2018

Mr. Flower's Music Blog October 19

Hello parents of St. Jude's Academy,

We have had a busy week and a somewhat stressful one. I was sick on Monday and couldn't find the energy to teach your lovely children so I decided to stay home and rest. I have to be on "high energy mode" at all times while teaching at this school( Coffee is my best friend!) and I didn't want to cheat the students. I also didn't want to get them sick!
     We are now winding down our first units with the students and I have been getting them ready for their upcoming tests. I can only hope that they will do a little bit of studying this weekend. These tests aren't too difficult but the students should still be lightly reviewing their classroom notes.

    JK: I have been prepping these students to be able to sing "Old McFlower" for the last couple of weeks. I have been telling them to sing with enthusiasm, maybe add in a funny dance, and have been going over the song to make sure they can sing the correct words. I think these kids will do just fine!

SK: I am very proud of all the SK students! They have been learning to read all the notes from the Treble and Bass clef and they have been pretty successful so far. For this test they must 1) be able to correctly identify all the lines and spaces on the Treble clef, be able to identify select notes on both the Treble and Bass clef, and identify the time value of these notes( ex. Quarter note is 1 beat, whole note is 4 beats). They are able to do this pretty well and I think that they will be just fine!

Gr 1: We have had a great time over the last 6 weeks singing some of our favourite children's songs but now we are done with this unit and they have a test. They must be able to play "Frere Jacques" on the xylophone. We have been preparing for this for a little while now. I will have the words written on the washboard with the notes written above the syllables. All the students have to do is pay attention and play the correct notes. I think they can do this!

Gr.2 : This has been such a fun grade to deal with and have enjoyed my time with them so far. They have been learning about the Major and Minor scales and why it is important to learn them. If they are going to one day write their own songs they should know about some basic scales so that they can write their own melodies. For their upcoming test the students will be allowed to have their notes with them. They will have to correctly play a C Major and C Minor scale, a melody that I wrote(not very complicated at all), and will need to play just one note to the metronome 4 times. This is the trickiest part of the test. I think that the students should be able to get a good grade in this class.

Gr. 3: This has been a lot of fun and am so happy to be their teacher. We are getting ready for a test coming this week. The students must memorize the C Major scale(not hard to do) and must be able to identify the Root, Major and Minor 3rd, the Fifth, and the Major/Flat 7 intervals of this scale(this is pretty tricky but a lot of the students have been pretty successful with this). The students also need to memorize another scale( I suggested a G or F Major because it is the easier ones) and correctly identify the Root/3rds/5ht and 7th intervals. The last part of this test requires them to sing 3 notes correctly. This is a little tricky as well but some students have done really well with this.
 
    So there we have it.....another week has gone by and is in the books! I look forward to next week and hope that my students will be prepared for their tests.
     Mr. Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr. Flower's Music Blog December 7

Hello p arents of SJA, It has been a busy week(as usual) for the teachers at SJA. We have been busy prepping for the big Christmas ...